When looking at any of these meals there are few things to look for:
- Lots of vegetables (aim for 1-2 cups or fistfuls of vegies per meal)
- Lean protein (about a palm size)
- Less carbs (no more than 1/2 cup of cooked potato, rice or pasta)
Here are some numbers to guide you.
- Less than 350cals (1500kJ) per meal
- Less than 770mg of sodium per meal (or <2300mg a day or 6g (1 tsp))
- Less than 17g of fat per meal (or <50g of fat a day for weight loss)
- Less than 17g of sugar per meal (or <50g of added sugar (13tsp) a day)
Of course, cooking your own meals will save you money, and probably extra sugar and salt. Cooking in bulk on weekends is a good idea and can provide leftovers which make for cheap, easy and healthier lunch meals.
Scan over the photos below to see points about their taste or nutritional value. If anyone wants more detailed info about these meals, please get in touch and I can send the info through.