We know that inflammation is bad for our brains and exercise and good food can stop this. Here is my brief summary of the book:
- Eat more antioxidants- put 5-6 colours of food on your plate
- No one food is magical but healthy eating is about eating combinations of good food
- Eating too much, even of healthy food, can cause inflammation
- When it comes to exercise, "use it or lose it" rings true- keep active!
- Sedentary lives cause inflammation and weak bones and muscles. We know this from people who have spent time in zero gravity
- Plan to exercise or it doesn't happen!
- Try new exercises and activities- your brain likes to learn and be challenged
- Exercise should be a combination of aerobic, resistance, flexibility and balance
- Drink water for your brain. Our sense of thirst declines as we age so drink even if you are not thirsty
- Focus on eating enough protein and keep active to slow muscle loss