Blue Zones are five areas of the world which live the longest. These areas are Sardinia in Italy, Loma Linda in California, the Nicoya Penisula in Costa Rica, Ikaria in Greece and Okiwana in Japan.
These people eat real food, mostly plants and not too much! They have very low rates of obesity, diabetes and cancer.
- Drink low levels of alcohol and always drink with food
- Keep active
- Have strong social connections and eat meals with extended family
- Eat plenty of fish
- Don’t smoke
- Are not particularly stressed
- Consider meat as a side dish
- Eat plenty of vegetables- 95% of their calories are from plants!
Tips for you
- Add legumes to salads
- Try having a regular meat-free Monday
- Add in 2-3 fish meals a week
- Eat more slowly and eat till you are 80% full
- Snack on unsalted nuts a few times a week
There is no one magic diet for all of these people- the people in California are vegans and the people in Italy and Greece eat a Mediterranean style diet.
Try to capture some of these eating tips and aim to live a long, healthy life!